Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lemur interface and Linux
Hi,
I would like to use the mixbus interface to control mixbus 32c with a tablet. With the lemur app i need to use the editor under wine and yes, i can see the editor changing stuff when i change it on the tablet, but nothing happens on mixbus. Is there a better way for linux users? There is no interface for touchosc? What i'm doing wrong?

Help me!!
I got an iPad recently and had been looking at Lemur as well, but ratings were quite bad, the app hasn't been updated in 3 years, and comments seemed to suggest it might not be working that well with recent versions of iPadOS, and the project being quite dead in general. So I didn't even bother (especially at that price) to test. No idea if the situation is really that bad, though.

Instead I'm currently working on a new surface for TouchOSC. Might still take a little while and for a few things might also require some additional work on Mixbus as well. No idea when developers might have the resources to work on that, though.

Probably going to file some little feature requests and issues for TouchOSC as well. So will see how active that project is. But so far it seems far better maintained than Lemur.

There also is / used to be another surface for the older version of TouchOSC, but I found a lot of controls being far to small to be really usable.
Disclaimer: Any resemblance of my nick with a given engineer is purely coincidental!
Desktop: AMD Phenom II x6, 4 GB RAM, Radeon graphics, RME HDSP 9652
Laptop: Thinkpad E560, i3 6100U, 8 GB RAM, Intel graphics, Tascam US-2x2
X32 Rack - Debian GNU/Linux - 32c
(11-16-2021, 07:30 AM)the C.L.A. Wrote: I got an iPad recently and had been looking at Lemur as well, but ratings were quite bad, the app hasn't been updated in 3 years, and comments seemed to suggest it might not be working that well with recent versions of iPadOS, and the project being quite dead in general. So I didn't even bother (especially at that price) to test. No idea if the situation is really that bad, though.

Instead I'm currently working on a new surface for TouchOSC. Might still take a little while and for a few things might also require some additional work on Mixbus as well. No idea when developers might have the resources to work on that, though.

Probably going to file some little feature requests and issues for TouchOSC as well. So will see how active that project is. But so far it seems far better maintained than Lemur.

There also is / used to be another surface for the older version of TouchOSC, but I found a lot of controls being far to small to be really usable.

Thanks a lot @the C.L.A.!
I'm really interested in your surface, let me know when it's done! I can be your beta tester!
(11-11-2021, 07:56 AM)red.plastic.studio Wrote: Hi,
I would like to use the mixbus interface to control mixbus 32c with a tablet. With the lemur app i need to use the editor under wine and yes, i can see the editor changing stuff when i change it on the tablet, but nothing happens on mixbus. Is there a better way for linux users? There is no interface for touchosc? What i'm doing wrong?

Help me!!

Hello,
a while ago i made a more or less successful attempt on implementing a Mixbus7 control interface for my old ipad air.  Did it with the meanwhile old touchosc.
Because it's not allowed to post links just go to Github and search for nicbeu's Mixbus-TouchOSC-Layout and you'll find hopefully everything you need.

Unfortunately it's for Mixbus7, not for 32c

Nico
to C.L.A.: I know the what it is like to do 'some additional work'.

Revisiting my years old Lemur template, which was functional, but never really passed the test in real application, I discovered several errors in my Lemur template. That was ten years ago. But even today I struggle with feedback problems. The goal is to create a surface that functions, without crashing Mixbus. In my recent attempts, the Lemur template failed again, although I found the relevant command in OSC set_surface. This is the relevant command to get feedback from Mixbus, to get all text and values updated.

Meanwhile, I acquired a SSL UF1, which is well integrated in Mixbus 32c v.9.2. Not perfectly integrated yet, but very usable.

I observed a couple of issues when using SSL UF1 and Mackie MCU surfaces simultaneously (in the latter, an old iCon controller, or an iPad app that simulates a Mackie MCU). But that is another topic.

Although TouchOSC was the main reason why I purchased my first iPad in 2012, few later Lemur was released on this platform, and I plunged in to Lemur. A very fruitful phase, which led to a rather well designed template for Mixbus, which is more pleasing to the eye than functional.
Mixbus32c, Mackie Onyx 1640, Neumann km1, WA 47 jr..MadronaLabs, Samplemodeling, UA, etc., iPad2/4/Pro
(01-10-2024, 04:37 PM)Phil999 Wrote: to C.L.A.: I know the what it is like to do 'some additional work'.

Revisiting my years old Lemur template, which was functional, but never really passed the test in real application, I discovered several errors in my Lemur template. That was ten years ago. But even today I struggle with feedback problems. The goal is to create a surface that functions, without crashing Mixbus. In my recent attempts, the Lemur template failed again, although I found the relevant command in OSC set_surface. This is the relevant command to get feedback from Mixbus, to get all text and values updated.

Meanwhile, I acquired a SSL UF1, which is well integrated in Mixbus 32c v.9.2. Not perfectly integrated yet, but very usable.

I observed a couple of issues when using SSL UF1 and Mackie MCU surfaces simultaneously (in the latter, an old iCon controller, or an iPad app that simulates a Mackie MCU). But that is another topic.

Although TouchOSC was the main reason why I purchased my first iPad in 2012, few later Lemur was released on this platform, and I plunged in to Lemur. A very fruitful phase, which led to a rather well designed template for Mixbus, which is more pleasing to the eye than functional.

Can that OSC set_surface command be sent somehow to have MCU do an update to the MCU controllers and extenders?
When banking with both the x-touch and with iCon V1-M, if there are not enough tracks in MB to fill all the controller available channels, ghost data will stay on some of the controller displays.

Unchecking say the first track in the mixer track window, and then rechecking it, will make it redraw all the data to the surfaces remove the ghost data.
Mixbus 10 Pro 10.0.0
Apple Mac Studio M1 Ventura 13.6.7
PreSonus Quantum 2626
iCON V1-M & 2 Extenders
X-Touch & 2 Extenders
the /set_surface command triggers Mixbus to send OSC data, not MIDI. So the answer is no.

To get feedback from Mixbus for MCU controllers, one has to be creative. Just as you described, selecting different channels in order to get the right data.

---

Getting back to the original question: TouchOSC is recommended if Lemur is not installed on the tablet or phone. TouchOSC can also run on a computer with touchscreen.

---

About /set_surface: quote from the Ardour manual:

Quote:The /set_surface message may have all values except the last in-line. For example: /set_surface/8/31/8403/0/8 i 16 would be valid. Do be careful of switches which send a 0 on release, it may be necessary to set the value as the release value rather than the press value.

Indeed it is a good idea to send the /set_surface command when releasing a button. Mixbus and my Lemur template work very well together, but it can happen that Mixbus crashes when one adds a new channel. The template is therefore unusable, unfortunately.

https://manual.ardour.org/using-control-...c-control/
Mixbus32c, Mackie Onyx 1640, Neumann km1, WA 47 jr..MadronaLabs, Samplemodeling, UA, etc., iPad2/4/Pro