Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Clone that Drive!!!!
Hi All
After my Ubuntu Studio had a fit and startx refused to start I had to re- install the OS and MB6 and all my plugins
Approx 25 of them I always use.

I did the usual trawl round the Net on a mobile phone re startx,  some of the info was 10 years old!!

I did the full re-install over 2 days and all fine. I upgraded to MB V7.

I decided there had to be a better way and looked at cloning my System drive ( My music data is on 3 internal drives)

It seemed to this musician like arcane magic with lots of warnings re losing all you data Smile

mmmm Then on Amazon I saw  this little box called: RSHTECH USB 3.0 Hard Drives Docking Station.

I thought No way can it be that easy.

So I bought one,  and hand on heart loaded my sys drive and a new SSD then hit clone!!
30 mins later new drive was in pc and all fired up perfect 

No Hunting for licences and re installing plugins and Mixbus!!
I now have 2 system drives and can swap it out in 5 mins!!

Happy bunnies or what!  Big Grin
Linux for years!
Ubuntu studio 24.04 LTS  Mixbus 32C  V9
Dell Precision  T3600  8 core 64gb ram.
(03-31-2021, 01:31 PM)wavesound Wrote: So I bought one,  and hand on heart loaded my sys drive and a new SSD then hit clone!!
30 mins later new drive was in pc and all fired up perfect 

Happy bunnies or what!  Big Grin

Haha I'm happy you're happy. Putting the new drive into the computer and 
Code:
dd if=/dev/sd[x] of=/dev/sd[y]
where /dev/sd[x] is the device name of the existing system drive and /dev/sd[y] is the device name of the new clone would have done that, too Smile

MMM
Linux throughout!
Main PC: XEON, 64GB DDR4, 1x SATA SSD, 1x NVME, MOTU UltraLite AVB

Mixbus 32C, Hydrogen, Jack... and Behringer synths
Next, you should set up rsync to keep the drives in sync with each other. Pretty easy and very fast. You can use grsync to make it even easier with a GUI. I run it nightly with a script that spins up the backup drive, checks to make sure it's ready, syncs the drives, then dismounts and spins it back down. I like keeping it hidden just in case ransomware were to somehow creep in, no matter how unlikely.
ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0 w/AMD FX™-8350 Eight-Core Processor 32GB RAM
M-Audio Delta 1010 / Echo AudioFire 12
Mixbus v7.x on Fedora 33 64bit