Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Edit EQ crossover parameters
I've been using the channel EQ a lot in conjunction with an analyzer, and it's a revolution. It's possible to get quite a lot done with the simple channel EQ; though the Mixbus EQ is a little less useful. The fixed parameters are often a deal breaker; 300hz and 800hz make a lot of sense, great place to boost, but a shelf at 2k is way too heavy handed. I'd probably set it at 4k, the way it is on the master bus, but what I'd really like is the ability to edit this. I understand that the EQ is part of the ethos here; but I'd like some way to edit this, even globally in preferences. 32C isn't an option for me, as I mix solely on a laptop.

Ideally, I could click a dropdown window and change crossovers for that specific bus. That would be awesome. Workflow would be super fluid and less need for EQ plugs.

Second best would be a global preference that the user could adjust to meet their over all needs for this.

Thank you for considering this.

Also, please bring back the Mixbus sidechain compression!
(01-29-2022, 03:54 AM)amanamission Wrote: I've been using the channel EQ a lot in conjunction with an analyzer, and it's a revolution. It's possible to get quite a lot done with the simple channel EQ; though the Mixbus EQ is a little less useful. The fixed parameters are often a deal breaker; 300hz and 800hz make a lot of sense, great place to boost, but a shelf at 2k is way too heavy handed. I'd probably set it at 4k, the way it is on the master bus, but what I'd really like is the ability to edit this. I understand that the EQ is part of the ethos here; but I'd like some way to edit this, even globally in preferences. 32C isn't an option for me, as I mix solely on a laptop.

Quote:..
32C isn't an option for me, as I mix solely on a laptop...
This is probably the point why this won't happen: If you make the EQ of the "normal" Mixbus parametric - what you basically request here - you wouldn't have enough unique features for MB32C to justify the price difference, or in other words you would have to lift the Mixbus-price for being closer to MB32C. I can't see that, but I might be wrong - Harrison are always good for a surprise.
Btw, with the EQ/Send sections being "out-blendable" mixing on a laptop in 32C has become feasible. If you are under Linux you can even "overcharge" your physical resolution to see everything at once and Alt+Scrollwheel is your friend all the way. I have posted instructions how to do this in the Linux section a while ago.

Happy mixing!
MMM
Linux throughout!
Main PC: XEON, 64GB DDR4, 1x SATA SSD, 1x NVME, MOTU UltraLite AVB

Mixbus 32C, Hydrogen, Jack... and Behringer synths
Hello, amanamission -

I'm using a Dell Precision m4600 (laptop) with an external 24" monitor for mixing - running MB32C.
I edit on the laptop monitor and mix on the external monitor.
No resolution issues.

Cheers!
Patrick
(01-29-2022, 10:09 AM)PBuryk Wrote: Hello, amanamission -

I'm using a Dell Precision m4600 (laptop) with an external 24" monitor for mixing - running MB32C.
I edit on the laptop monitor and mix on the external monitor.
No resolution issues.

Cheers!
Patrick

Yeah, an external monitor also not an option in this space, or a desirable alternative. I'm making a feature request, not fundamentally altering my workflow.

I don't think it's the same as having a parametric eq, if it's a menu-based value or part of project properties or global preferences. For that matter, I could use a plugin, which would be cheaper than an extra monitor and a new license. That's what I'm doing now.

But I'm hoping the Harrison team will see that this small added value would not change the appeal of the upgrade, while enhancing satisfaction with the basic DAW. I'm working in a small space, I will never add an external monitor or upgrade just to avoid using a plug-in or two. On the other hand, a menu option would make the standard edition that much more satisfying, without delivering the same experience as the built-in channel on the 32c. People are going for the sound of that EQ, right? Not just the crossover knobs.
Or so I've been told.
Just to "still the pot" a little here...
How far would you suggest Harrison to go with a reduction of resolution or screen size?
Should they shoot for an iPad sized device? or even a large sized iPhone?
There seems to be a logical size minimum, both in physical dimension and in pixels, that are
required to present a "real console" that Harrison has chosen as its user interface.
Rather than spending time and development resources trying to reduce its current size further,
it might make more sense for Harrison to make a "Mixbus Lite" - targeted for smaller display devices.
Comments? and...

Cheers!
Patrick
(01-30-2022, 09:51 AM)PBuryk Wrote: Just to "still the pot" a little here...
How far would you suggest Harrison to go with a reduction of resolution or screen size?
Should they shoot for an iPad sized device? or even a large sized iPhone?
There seems to be a logical size minimum, both in physical dimension and in pixels, that are
required to present a "real console" that Harrison has chosen as its user interface.
Rather than spending time and development resources trying to reduce its current size further,
it might make more sense for Harrison to make a "Mixbus Lite" - targeted for smaller display devices.
Comments? and...

Cheers!
Patrick

I really don't know what you're talking about. I'm not asking Harrison to change the screen size or resolution. 32c is a premium product for studio engineers. I'm a bedroom producer using Mixbus for our own music. I'm perfectly happy with the standard Mixbus, it's great. It would be greater if it had this tiny modification written into the next update, some way to edit those parameters, either globally or locally, whichever is more feasible. I understand that they have reasons for doing this or not, but if they think it would discourage people from upgrading, that isn't true for me or lots of nonprofessional users.

I just like to post feature requests when I find something is lacking, in hopes that this DAW, to which I've committed, becomes even more useful. In this case, I'm not talking about changing screen size, but proposing a feature to make the Mixbus EQ more flexible without changing the design.

I've noticed that whenever I do this here, folks always like to suggest that I make changes to my setup in order to preserve the status quo. That's not what feature requests are for. Harrison can choose to adopt this idea or not; I've been unsuccessfully campaigning for the return of the sidechain compression since it went away in v6.

I certainly don't think they should change 32c to accommodate me. That's part of what the basic DAW is there for.
(01-29-2022, 03:54 AM)amanamission Wrote: The fixed parameters are often a deal breaker; 300hz and 800hz make a lot of sense, great place to boost, but a shelf at 2k is way too heavy handed. I'd probably set it at 4k, the way it is on the master bus, but what I'd really like is the ability to edit this. I understand that the EQ is part of the ethos here; but I'd like some way to edit this, even globally in preferences. 32C isn't an option for me, as I mix solely on a laptop.

I tend to agree about the 2K fixed point for MB Hi EQ - I would like to be able to push it up a bit 3.5 to 4K. I tend to use the Lo and Mid as final trim EQ's but find I do shy away from the Hi a bit. And understand the need for Mixbus vs 32C and the differences.
Macmini 8,1 | OS X 13.6.3 | 3 GHz i5 32G | Scarlett 18i20 | Mixbus 10 | PT_2024.3.1 .....  Macmini 9,1 | OS X 14.4.1 | M1 2020 | Mixbus 10 | Resolve 18.6.5
(01-30-2022, 10:48 PM)Dingo Wrote: I tend to agree about the 2K fixed point for MB Hi EQ - I would like to be able to push it up a bit 3.5 to 4K. I tend to use the Lo and Mid as final trim EQ's but find I do shy away from the Hi a bit. And understand the need for Mixbus vs 32C and the differences.

Same. The 2K adding to much in the 'harsh' mids from time to time. Or I wish for the Master's 300Hz Mids in a Mixbus for de-mud there,..

I'd love to see a "concentric-pot" feature added (as with the Send-Pan): leave the default as it is but with the hidden option of making it adjustable easily.
Having thought about it, here are some ways to implement this, in order of preference:

Per Bus: a dropdown menu on each bus leading to crossover sliders.

Per Session: a properties section setting the global values for the session

Global: in Preferences

Thank you for considering it!