Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Change sample rate of existing session.
I have four or five medium sessions to the “approved by the band” state, with the exception of me not satisfied with the artifacts I’ve introduced by using eq and compression and often saturation/intentional clipping on many buses/channels.
I recorded the band in 48k and mixed these first few songs at that session rate, and now realize things run and sound much better if I upsample the original wavs and mix at 96k.

I’ve already gone through the process once, and want to make sure I’m doing this right.

First I saved the approved 48k session as a template.
The opened the a new session using that template, only choosing 96k instead of 48k. The I imported all the tracks and let the import process handle the upsample of each wav file, and made sure each file made it into the intended named channel within the template.
This was a bit tedious since the order of the files within the folder was not the same order as the template’s channels, so it was a good thing I had named the wav files with helpful names.

I read that when saving a session as a template, the automation curves are not part of the template, but said automation can be cut/pasted I guess a curve at a time into the new 96k session.

My question is, am I doing this right? Is there some script or otherwise better method to convert an existing session to a different sample rate?
From a procedural perspective, it seems that what you did was the most logical, and efficient.
One thing I would add would be to prepend an "01", "02", "03", etc to your channel names before exporting them.
That should guarantee their order in the folder to be the same as in the channel when you import in bulk.

The only real PitA I perceive is the copying and pasting of the automation lanes.
Having not done that myself yet I'm wondering how you are pasting them in the 96k session exactly at the current alignment with their audio tracks?

I'm definitely interested to see what others are going to suggest as follow-ups to this thread.

Cheers!
Patrick
Open the project file with notepad and manually change to the desired frequency and save. The project will open with the frequency that you specified.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(12-13-2020, 11:16 AM)Yriisem Wrote: Open the project file with notepad and manually change to the desired frequency and save. The project will open with the frequency that you specified.

That worked! I do need to select everything and upsample all the channels, as now with my test session when I went from the existing 96k to 192k everything is an octave high, but that should be simple enough and hopefully the automation is there.
Thanks!

I think this saved me a whole lotta tedium
An octave higher... exactly... because you're playing everything back at twice its originally recorded speed.
I'm scratching my head wondering how changing the rate in the .ardour file is supposed to accomplish what you want,
which is to re-sample your existing tracks at a higher rate?
My assumption in Yriisem's scenario is that you would then re-import (with sample Frequency change) every track and drop them onto the existing channels that have automation.
Macmini 8,1 | OS X 13.6.3 | 3 GHz i5 32G | Scarlett 18i20 | Mixbus 10 | PT_2024.3.1 .....  Macmini 9,1 | OS X 14.4.1 | M1 2020 | Mixbus 10 | Resolve 18.6.5
Mine too. I don't remember reading that MB/MB32C had the ability to convert the same rate of existing tracks in a session.
I didn’t really expect changing the rate value in the file would alter the wav files in the audiofiles folder, so I’m exporting them as stems upsampled and will see if I can get the project file with the new rate to load them in if I direct MB to the new folder when it complains upon opening, looking for the right folder.
Yriisem's suggestion did work, mostly, but i need to change something else in the project file because now the automation is half-scale, that is, it happens twice as quickly time wise and is over half way through the song.
Seems logical. Also the End was at the half way point, but by moving the End to the right in the editor and dragging the ends of the channel's file drawings, the files (that I upsampled separately and put in the audiofiles folder with all the same names) were there and correct.

So I guess now there is something in the project file that I need to double or halve for the project length, and the update rate for the automation? Or is automation info in the history file?

Also, how does one go about cutting and pasting automation curves from one project to another, is it possible to have two project's editors open at the same time?
In my way, you saved the mixer settings and that's good Smile automation is tied to the tempo and you cannot stretch it without changing the tempo of the grid. But this will only be a formal stretch, since the tempo has not physically changed after the increase in frequency, so accept that you have gained experience and you will be forced to rewrite the automation. Copying automation is possible only within the project. If you want to use the same settings for the entire album, then you need to arrange all the compositions in one project.