Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CPU usage maxxing out
I managed to get the SSL board synced up, the automation works great! I managed to get maschine synced up and working fully. now I noticed the CPU usage in mixbus is in the upper 90%s...
and maxxxing out at 100 percent if I open ONE UAD2 reverb plugin...

something's wrong....I tried removing all tracks except for 16..and it's still maxing out.

this is a VERY fast computer, it shouldn't be maxxing out with 16 tracks,I have something set wrong, I should be able to have 32 tracks easily without maxxing out like this. something's wrong...

can somebody help a mixbus noobie out?

Mixbus does grow on you, I like it more and more, certainly way better than pro tools.
(04-24-2020, 09:04 PM)electricJedi Wrote: I managed to get the SSL board synced up, the automation works great! I managed to get maschine synced up and working fully. now I noticed the CPU usage in mixbus is in the upper 90%s...

something's wrong....I tried removing all tracks except for 16..and it's still maxing out.

this is a VERY fast computer, it shouldn't be maxxing out with 16 tracks,I have something set wrong, I should be able to have 32 tracks easily without maxxing out like this. something's wrong...

Mixbus does grow on you, I like it more and more, certainly way better than pro tools.

I try not to use any plugins and I'm not sure about UAD plugin support in 32c bro but abbey road reverb works which is some kind of miracle because that plugin has maxed out on any other daw.

Most plugins I load to test just crash 32c but keep in mind you have excelent built in eq and compression on every track and if you add reverb to your mix after you have a proper balance it will save you a lot of grief. I honestly never balance my mix with any reverb on at the start because its really something you should do later.
What SSL board do you have? Sounds like you have a pretty nice range of gear there. Is that a control surface?
check your buffer size-- if its too low increase it,
also if you havent, you could optimize the PC for audio

(04-24-2020, 09:04 PM)electricJedi Wrote: I managed to get the SSL board synced up, the automation works great! I managed to get maschine synced up and working fully. now I noticed the CPU usage in mixbus is in the upper 90%s...

[quote='durutti' pid='50059' dateline='1587824827']

I don't think the pc is optimized for audio, any specifics for that?

the buffer size is 128 currently...

I'll try going down to 8 tracks, but this computer is about as fast as it gets..I shouldn't be having cpu overloads with ONE reverb plugin on a bus that's just crazy.
That buffer size is waaaay too low.

Something is creating a bottleneck. Could it be that the SSL keeps the CPU busy with sending a plethora of interrupts? Or Maschine?
What happens when you disconnect both? Is it working? Then connect one. Still working? Then disconnect the first, connect the other. Still working?

Just a hint how to check though... the fastest CPU can't work properly for you if it's frequently disrupted to serve some periphery.

MMM
Linux throughout!
Main PC: XEON, 64GB DDR4, 1x SATA SSD, 1x NVME, MOTU UltraLite AVB

Mixbus 32C, Hydrogen, Jack... and Behringer synths
check these links
1. https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/art...indows-10/
2. https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-gb/a...Windows-10

also I think the buffer is low for 16-32 tracks

(04-25-2020, 09:56 AM)electricJedi Wrote: [quote='durutti' pid='50059' dateline='1587824827']

I don't think the pc is optimized for audio, any specifics for that?

the buffer size is 128 currently...

I'll try going down to 8 tracks, but this computer is about as fast as it gets..I shouldn't be having cpu overloads with ONE reverb plugin on a bus that's just crazy.
For mixing, relax your buffers...you're not gaining anything by setting lower latencies - other than the problems you are describing.

Try 1024 - not kidding - give your CPU some time to process your stuff, and I think you'll find overall CPU load will decrease significantly.

Also - check your UAD control panel. Allow it to increase buffer size as needed (something called "adaptive processing" if I remember correctly).
(04-25-2020, 01:15 PM)atlasrecrd Wrote: That buffer size is waaaay too low.

isn't that going to introduce latency if I raise that buffer size?
in Ableton I have it see even lower than that for tracking at least...

(04-26-2020, 01:09 AM)madmaxmiller Wrote:

Something is creating a bottleneck. Could it be that the SSL keeps the CPU busy with sending a plethora of interrupts? Or Maschine?
What happens when you disconnect both? Is it working? Then connect one. Still working? Then disconnect the first, connect the other. Still working?

I think you're right and I think it's the SSL board. I have EVERYTHING checked, in, out and music. 3 checkboxes for each midi channel, I think I might have an endless loop going or the settings are just not correct yet...for tracking, I should be able to set that pretty low I think...without overloading the CPU....

thanks for your help!

Just a hint how to check though... the fastest CPU can't work properly for you if it's frequently disrupted to serve some periphery.

MMM
(04-26-2020, 02:54 PM)electricJedi Wrote: isn't that going to introduce latency if I raise that buffer size?
in Ableton I have it see even lower than that for tracking at least...

Yes it does - however, when you are tracking and you are cueing/monitoring through the SSL (as you should) then it doesn't play a role. It doesn't matter if the material lands a few ms later on the hard drive. Plus you'll be working on your SSL board and have the DAW just as a "tape" behind, so you don't need to control Mixbus from the board. Maybe transport, but for this you can get some cheap controller if you like.
Only if you are monitoring through the DAW or playing virtual instruments within the DAW you want to set buffers as low as possibble.
And for mixing anyway - you can set them to 2048 and live in peace and enjoy your SSL automation Smile
Like in the olden times ™ - tracking and mixing are different setups.
MMM
Linux throughout!
Main PC: XEON, 64GB DDR4, 1x SATA SSD, 1x NVME, MOTU UltraLite AVB

Mixbus 32C, Hydrogen, Jack... and Behringer synths