Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Assign to Bus Option Request
See attachment. It would be really cool to be able to assign a group to a bus from the right click on the group name.

Donny

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Windows 10 64, HP Z-220 Workstation, I7 3770 16 GB RAM, RME Multiface 2, PCIe
Mac OS Sierra, 2012 Mac Mini, i5 16 GB RAM, Behringer XR18
Mixbus 32C 6.2.26
Harrison MixBus V5.2
Presonus Studio One 5
Statesboro, GA, USA
Hi everybody,

So, seeing the right click options in the picture above, I'm rethinking bussing and experimenting more with VCA's. Mostly what I'm doing with instrument busses I could be doing with VCA's, and I probably should be. From that perspective, the attachment with the right-click options on the OP is fine just like it is, without my feature request. I'm sure the folks at Harrison would know better, and I could learn from that, LOL!

Here's my question. By sending fewer instruments through busses, and using VCA's more, will I be losing some of the tape saturation goodness which is part of "the sound", or will the main bus saturation handle that just as well on its own? I'm guessing the tape saturation and the Harrison summing engine are two different things, so "the sound" is not only the result of the tape saturation feature. Does that seem about right? If yes, that would be great.

If I implement VCA's more in place of how I've typically used some busses, it's causing me to take a hard look at regular Mixbus, as the simpler EQ and named bussing assignments are really appealing to me. Using VCA's like this, I could definitely get by with fewer busses. I would not even need eight usually. Right now I have one parallel compression bus and five effects busses on my 32C template. The other six are instrument busses, some of which I often don't need for many mixes.

I have heavy duty respect for you guys and I'm really learning alot. I would love to know your thoughts on this.

Thanks,

Donny
Mixbus 32C 6.2.26
Harrison MixBus V5.2
Presonus Studio One 5
Statesboro, GA, USA
- Groups with Gain-Sharing share the Bus Assigning when cklicking in the Mixer.
- ctrl-Click on a Bus-Button assignes the Channel exclussively to this Bus (that means: removes it eg from the Main Bus)
- ctrl-shift-click on a Bus-Button applies to ALL Tracks.
These makes the Bus-Layout in the Mixer pretty useful and quick for me.

With DCAs you loose all processing-possibilities on the Mixbusses. Beside the 'Tape' thats Tone, Comps, Panning (Width), PlugIns, too.
So it'll alsways be both, DCAs and Mixbusses for me, both are very usefull!
Good point...that crossed my mind also. I'm probably over thinking and swinging the pendulum too far the other way. I'll keep my busses as they are, but still implement more VCA use as needed.
Mixbus 32C 6.2.26
Harrison MixBus V5.2
Presonus Studio One 5
Statesboro, GA, USA
Don

I feeel you brought the Protools workflow to Mixbus.

You start building channels and structures in the what in Mixbus is called the edit window.
You group to an instrument bus ( not a Mixbus). Than route to Mixbus and master.

Turn around : and do a full reset ! Let go back to analogue times.

Open your eyes : and what do you see ?
A console. which has channels and subgroups and a master : The output ( to PA or Monitors).

Now you start plugging in your mikes. Channel by channel. No plugins : they are already there. Channels which belong together to make a member of the group.

You stay away of the splice block and the razor blade.

Channels which need same processing you send to a Mixbus. With the send knob on the channel. Not all channels need the same amount, that is why it has a rotary send , not an assignment switch.

Some groups need paralel processing: master and mix bus. Some we want full control via the Bus. Master send off. Some need paralell processing : send to two busses.

Soundcheck: adjust mike placement... Or instrument settings.

Record : Listen. adjust
Up till now we have not been in the edit window at all

Do you catch my drift?

I came from the start building your channels DAWs. Total recall ? forget it. O yeah the computer did bring back all, but did i remember what i have done ?

In the mixdown fase i add VCA faders to group achtion, or , via spill, focus on channels and busses.

I come from the life environment, where efficiency is a must.
Most important is : Listen, and let your ears tell what to do.

Regards
Frank W. Kooistra

- MMB32C 9.1, AD/DA: Motu:1248, 8A, 8D, Monitor8. X-Touch,, Mini M1 11.6.2, venture 13.3 plugins melda fabfilter harrison No Harrison CP-1 
(03-08-2018, 11:41 PM)Frank Wrote: I feeel you brought the Protools workflow to Mixbus.

You start building channels and structures in the what in Mixbus is called the edit window.
You group to an instrument bus ( not a Mixbus). Than route to Mixbus and master.

Do you catch my drift?

Yes, I believe so. What an awesome reply and I totally appreciate it. I think with each mix I do, I'm getting more comfortable with the workflow, how it works, and the beauty of it. I've done about 23 songs on MixBus in the past month I believe. I've prepped two songs this evening for mixing tomorrow morning. One song almost 80 tracks and the other about 45. Grouped, bussed to mix busses, VCA's ready. The mix prep actually goes pretty fast. Both of these had a mountain of guitar tracks, and it still was well under about ten minutes each. Once that's done you can almost mix the whole thing just from the mix busses. Hopefully, tomorrow should just be listen, mix and render.

Donny
Mixbus 32C 6.2.26
Harrison MixBus V5.2
Presonus Studio One 5
Statesboro, GA, USA
(03-09-2018, 01:09 AM)doncolga Wrote:
(03-08-2018, 11:41 PM)Frank Wrote: I feeel you brought the Protools workflow to Mixbus.

Do you catch my drift?

Yes, I believe so. What an awesome reply and I totally appreciate it. I think with each mix I do, I'm getting more comfortable with the workflow, how it works, and the beauty of it. I've done about 23 songs on MixBus in the past month I believe. I've prepped two songs this evening for mixing tomorrow morning. One song almost 80 tracks and the other about 45. Grouped, bussed to mix busses, VCA's ready. The mix prep actually goes pretty fast. Both of these had a mountain of guitar tracks, and it still was well under about ten minutes each. Once that's done you can almost mix the whole thing just from the mix busses. Hopefully, tomorrow should just be listen, mix and render.

Donny

Your Welcome !

I completely understand what you mean: Mixbus puts the music back into the mix.

It is fast and it is fun. Indeed mix from the Mixbusses and a few VCA

You had a nice idea with the comments. Do you know that the first word on the first line shows when the comment is not open.
I Click all open to see input status : and my comments.

Another true gems ts the Character series.
Bass charter : No eq, just BC-XT and one enhances the instrument. A bit more overtones ?
A bit less body ? EQ you hear slip when they lower or raise the pitch. XT-BC you hear just the instrument.
I might HP some off when there is low conflict. I have only seen huge smiles on bass players faces.
I DI direct.

Drum charcter the same

Have Fun

Frank
Frank W. Kooistra

- MMB32C 9.1, AD/DA: Motu:1248, 8A, 8D, Monitor8. X-Touch,, Mini M1 11.6.2, venture 13.3 plugins melda fabfilter harrison No Harrison CP-1 
(03-09-2018, 02:05 AM)Frank Wrote:
(03-09-2018, 01:09 AM)doncolga Wrote:

Do you catch my drift?

Donny

Your Welcome !

I completely understand what you mean: Mixbus puts the music back into the mix.

It is fast and it is fun. Indeed mix from the Mixbusses and a few VCA

You had a nice idea with the comments. Do you know that the first word on the first line shows when the comment is not open.
I Click all open to see input status : and my comments.

Another true gems ts the Character series.
Bass charter : No eq, just BC-XT and one enhances the instrument. A bit more overtones ?
A bit less body ? EQ you hear slip when they lower or raise the pitch. XT-BC you hear just the instrument.
I might HP some off when there is low conflict. I have only seen huge smiles on bass players faces.
I DI direct.

Drum charcter the same

Have Fun

Frank

Yes, I can't believe I missed the "In the Box" with the Character series. I'm not sure what I was thinking to pass that up. Maybe they'll do an encore on that one. I did get the one yesterday and Micro-Glide is awesome. I'm using it right now actually.

I did check out the comments and yes, I did see the first part there. Very cool to see.

Donny
Mixbus 32C 6.2.26
Harrison MixBus V5.2
Presonus Studio One 5
Statesboro, GA, USA
Hello experts !

is it true, the utility bus does not compensate latency ?
What if I send by tracks to external effect processor and from external effect processor to "utility bus". Will there be any audible latency ?

Thank you !

(The manual/pdf is little confusing)
(03-09-2018, 09:36 AM)Shailesh Wrote: Hello experts !

is it true, the utility bus does not compensate latency ?
What if I send by tracks to external effect processor and from external effect processor to "utility bus". Will there be any audible latency ?

Thank you !

(The manual/pdf is little confusing)

Yes, my understanding is that the utility busses are not latency compensated on this version, but that's for plugins, especially those that generate lots of latency. I don't believe this would be the case for your example. Seems your example is close to the described use for utility busses. I've read where latency compensation will be added soon. Seems this could be a good and bad thing, depending on how it's used.

For my experience, the statement with the "daw-style mixing workflow" being discouraged, is that a mix can quickly get more complicated than it needs to be, and you lose focus on listening and mixing. Instead, you're also concerned with where you put things, where things route, along with opening and closing plugins. I think most DAW users simply think that is the only way to work because that's all they've known. I do still work in Studio One, but my template is modeled after MixBus, and I still find it more tedious overall. Even with a template, I find it's harder to just "get on with mixing". The immediate presence of all the basic controls on MixBus is huge. When you add the grouping, mix busses, VCA's and associated spills, you'll move very quickly.

Donny
Mixbus 32C 6.2.26
Harrison MixBus V5.2
Presonus Studio One 5
Statesboro, GA, USA